Not only do I focus on my workouts I also focus my health on what I consume in my body. I feel like if you aren’t eating the right nutrition your body needs then the workouts would be pointless. My eating habits changed dramatically once I started college. I didn’t want to do it as one of those diets you start and end in less than a month. I wanted to make the choices I ate a lifestyle.
When searching for foods at the grocery store I make sure to always look at the labels. Try to stay away from toxic foods, this means highly processed foods that can harm your health. The few things to look out for on the ingredients label will be corn syrup, white processed foods, artificial sweeteners, palm oil, MSG, trans fat, and the list goes on. Most foods I look for are organic, non-GMO, and vegan on the labels.
I also tried being vegan for a week with a friend just to see if I could do it and it wasn’t that hard for me. Giving up your favorite foods shouldn’t be hard because there are always ways to supplement them. I started following different blogs and people on Instagram that were based on vegans and healthy recipes. One blog that inspired me to try this new lifestyle was Well and Full, this blog has different recipes and is updated regularly.
- Above is a photo of the Healthy Green Shamrock Shake from Sarah’s Well and Full blog. This drink inspired me to make my protein drink. I make this drink after every workout. Below are the ingredients to the protein drink I came up with and I call it Green Goddess.
- 1 organic banana
- 1 handful of organic spinach/kale
- 1 cup of organic almond milk
- 1 tablespoon full of organic peanut butter
- 3 drops of organic honey
- 1 scoop of protein (optional)
- 3 cubes of ice
- add all of the ingredients into the blender and the ice is to make the drink chilly.
- drink up!